What should I do prior to the technician’s arrival?
Remove as many items as you can around your washer and dryer. Make sure there is no clothing in the washer and/or dryer.
How can I tell if my dryer vent needs cleaning?
- It takes longer and longer to dry load of clothing, especially heavy items, such as towels and jeans.
- Dryer itself feels hotter than usual. Clothes are very hot and still damp at the end of the cycle.
- Airflow in the vent seems low. Outdoor flapper on vent hood doesn’t open when dryer is on.
- There is no lint on the lint screen. Exhaust system is clogged.
Why is vent cleaning so important?
- A dirty or badly installed vent can be serious fire hazard. The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that dryers are associated with 15600 fires each year.
- Annual cleaning will reduce the amount of time it takes to dry a load. It will save you time and money.
- If your dryer vent is clogged with lint, bird nest or other debris your drying cycle will increase and can cause your dryer to overheat.
How often do vents need cleaning?
Most Dryer Vents should be cleaned at least once a year. Some dryer ducts require more attention. It depends on many factors:
- How many people are using the dryer
- Is the dryer more than ten years old
- If you have pets that shed hair
- If your dryer vent is long and/or has several turns in it.
- If your dryer vent exit point is on the roof or/and most of the vent length is in vertical position.
How long does vent cleaning take?
Most residential dryer vents can be cleaned within an hour. Excessive lint buildup and the other obstructions can take longer to clean.
How do you clean the dryer vent?
Scrub-A-Duct utilizes Newest Rotobrush Air Duct Cleaning System which is inserted into dryer vent. Specialized brushes spin and loosen and simultaneously vacuums all lint, dust and debris to the entire length of the vent. All our equipment uses state of the art HEPA filtration so we able to use it without contaminating the environment we working in.
Can you fix or install new dryer vents?
Yes. We use professional-grade metal venting for our dryer vent installation work whenever possible. We often encounter white plastic or vinyl venting which is against building codes and should definitely be replaced. In other cases the building contractor did a poor job or didn’t actually finish the job and so the dryer vent is actually exhausting the hot, moist air somewhere in the house. Damaged vent due bird’s nest or fire also requires vent replacement. As part of installing a new vent we sometimes have to open up sheet rock walls. We are experienced and equipped to patch up any sheet rock that we have to remove. Paint and spackle is the customer’s responsibility. We are also equipped to install outside vents through concrete foundations, outside walls and roofs. These, of course, are sealed and watertight.
Does dryer vent cleaning include a bird guard?
No, but if required, we can install one for an additional cost.